Frequently Asked Questions
Delivery is included in the prices.
Q: How long does delivery take?
We post your cheese using Royal Mail first class post. The Royal Mail advise that 90% of first class post in the UK will arrive the following day, unfortunately the other 10% can take up to 3 days.
Q: Do you deliver outside the UK?
Yes, but our online shop is not currently set up to calculate the different postage rates so please phone us on 01736 788046 to place your order.
Q: What if I am not home when my cheese is delivered?
When placing your order please tell us where your cheese can be left if you are not at home. Use the message box on the checkout page to do this.
Q: Can I buy cheese and have it sent to someone else as a gift?
Yes. Please make sure that you put the recipients details into delivery section at checkout. If you would like us to put a message from you to the recipient in with your gift please let us know in the message box at checkout.
Q: How long will my cheese keep?
We try and ensure that all our cheese has a use by date of at least 2 months, often longer.
Q: What is the best way to store my cheese?
In the fridge, wrapped in greaseproof paper not plastic wrap.
Q: Why can I not buy Greens Unpasteurised from your online shop?
We store the cheese in large roundels of about 20kg each. We cut off your cheese to order to keep it fresh. If you would like to order please call Juliet on 01736 788046
Q: I think I may be addicted to your lovely cheese, can you recommend a helpline.
That's not an addiction, it's just good taste. We recommend more cheese!